Latest News (new hotels and services, changes, etc.)
- June 2019 : Hotel Playa Vista Mar (formerly known as the Sercotel Experience Cayo Santa Maria) becomes the Grand Aston Cayo Las Brujas Beach Resort & Spa. It's the first hotel in Cuba for Archipelago International, one of Asia's fastest growing hotel management companies.
- May 6, 2019 : The Santa Clara airport is reopened.
- April 28, 2019 : The city of Santa Clara was hit by a severe local storm. Strong linear winds up to 100 Km/h, combined with heavy rainfall and hail, caused damages to the roof of the Abel SantaMaria International Airport (a.k.a Santa Clara Airport). The airport is closed until further notice. Flights are cancelled or being diverted to other airports, mainly Varadero, Cayo Coco and Cienfuegos. Power lines and dozens of homes were also affected; a large part of Santa Clara is without power, but fortunately no human casualty was reported
- Spring 2019 : All of the rooms on the east side of hotel Sol Cayo Santa Maria are closed for an indefinite period to undergo major renovations. These renovated bungalows will remain as part of the hotel Sol Cayo Santa Maria (not a new hotel).
- January 2019 : The hotel group SERCOTEL announces the withdrawal of their hotel management in Cuba from December 31, 2018. From January 1st 2019, the Sercotel Experience Cayo Santa Maria will be managed by the Cuban hotel group Gaviota and it will be renamed Hotel Playa Vista Mar.
- December 2018 : The luxury Paradisus Los Cayos is now open.
- October 2018 : The Angsana Cayo Santa Maria is now open. This hotel is located on Cayo Las Brujas (a small island next to Cayo Santa Maria). It includes 252 luxury rooms and is managed by Dhawa, a division of Banyan Tree Hotels & Resort. This hotel and its neighbor Dhawa share the same beach : Playa La Manteca.
- June 2018 : Hotel Lagunas del Este I (ex. Warwick) will now be managed by the Labranda Hotel Group, and is renamed Labranda Cayo Santa Maria. Labranda Hotels & Resort is owned by FTI, Germany’s fourth-largest tour operator.
- March 2018 : The Sercotel Experience Cayo Santa Maria is now open in Cayo Las Brujas (tiny island near Cayo Santa Maria).
- November 2017 : Hotel Warwick Cayo Santa Maria will no longer be managed by the Warwick Hotel Group. For the time being, the hotel will be renamed Lagunas del Este I (its original construction name), the Cuban group Gaviota (owner of the hotel) will run it until a new management contract is granted, there are already ongoing conversations with other foreign chains.
- February 2017 : The Hotel Cayo Santa Maria (formerly Eurostars Cayo Santa Maria) is now managed by Golden Tulip, part of Louvre Hotels Group, and becomes the Golden Tulip Aguas Claras.
- January 2017 : The construction project called "San Agustin" (on Cayo Las Brujas) will become the hotel Angsana Cayo Santa Maria, managed by the hotel group Banyan Tree. This luxury 252-rooms all-inclusive resort is scheduled to open in 2018. The Dhawa Cayo Santa Maria is now open. This hotel is located on Cayo Las Brujas (a small island next to Cayo Santa Maria). It includes 516 rooms and is managed by Dhawa, a division of Banyan Tree Hotels & Resort. The large Memories Paraiso Azul Beach Resort will be divided into three hotels, the Paraiso section will be sold as the Memories Paraiso Beach Resort (666 rooms), the Azul section will be divided in two and will become the Grand Memories Santa Maria (354 rooms) and the Sanctuary at Grand Memories Santa Maria (378 rooms, adult-only).
- November 2016 : The Hotel Starfish Cayo Santa Maria is now divided into two sections sold separately, one of them keeps the name Starfish Cayo Santa Maria (sold in Canada by tour operator Sunwing Vacations) and the other one is named Starfish Tropical Santa Maria (sold in Canada by tour operator Air Canada vacations).
- Fall 2016 : The hotel Paradisus Los Cayos is under construction on Playa Perla Blanca, between hotels Ocean Casa del Mar by H10 and the Valentin Perla Blanca. The construction name is "Laguna del Este V". It will be a 5-star hotel with 802 rooms. Opening is scheduled for December 2018.
Other future projects in the area include a golf course, two marinas and a water park. These projects have not started yet.
Click the following link for a detailed chronology of tourism development in the Cayos de Villa Clara (Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Ensenachos, Cayo Las Brujas); from 1989 until today.
Lily & Normand