Santa Clara is the capital city of the central province of Villa Clara, in Cuba. This is also where the International Airport Abel Santamaria (aka Santa Clara Airport) is located; this airport serves the popular beach resort "Cayos of Villa Clara" (Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Ensenachos and Cayo Las Brujas), which are located about 90 minutes' drive from this airport.
Santa Clara is the 5th largest city in Cuba. It’s located on a plain in the middle of the Villa Clara province, 67 km (42 mi) from the Caribbean Sea (south) and 101 km (63 mi) from the Atlantic Ocean (north). For tourists vacationing in one of the cayos, several day trips to Santa Clara are offered, for more information please visit the Tours & Excursions section. You can also hire a taxi or rent a car if you prefer to visit the city at your own pace.
Here are some of the major attractions found in Santa Clara:
• The Che Guevara mausoleum, museum and monument
• Parque del Tren Blindado: a reconstruction of the train derailment done by the troops of Che Guevara during the "Battle of Santa Clara" (the last battle of the Cuban Revolution in late 1958)
• Parque Vidal, a large park in the center of Santa Clara which is bordered by the Teatro de La Caridad (theatre), the Plaza del Mercado Central (market), the Santa Clara Libre Hotel (formerly the Santa Clara Hilton), the Colonia Espanola de Santa Clara (center of dance), the former city hall (now Marti Library), and a statue of Marta Abreu in the center of the park.
• Parque el Carmen (carmen’s Park), the city’s foundation site
• Catedral de Santa Clara de Asis (Cathedral)
• Loma del Capiro, a hill overlooking the city
• Parque de los Martires (Martyrs Park)
• Centro Cultural El Mejunje (Cultural Center)
• Universitad Marta Abreu of Las Villas (University)
• Boulevard 1889, a pedestrian boulevard
General information about Santa Clara:
• Founded July 15th, 1689
• Area: 514 km2 (198 sq mi)
• Population (2014): 242,402 inhabitants
• Coordinates: 22°24′24.91″N / 79°57′53.78″W
© Google Earth. Click or move your mouse pointer over the markers to view description. Click & Drag to change map area and see other points of interest in the region. Zoom in or out using the + and - buttons or your mouse's wheel.
Click to view our Gallery of Santa Clara.
Lily & Normand